Mark C - October 1952 to May 1956
The Mark C 2/3-seater Tourer was officially introduced. The new model featured a reshaped body with a passenger side door, headlamps mounted in the front wings, a Villiers 6E 197 c.c. engine and a 3-speed direct change gearbox. It had a tubular front engine mounting with the front wheel mounted on a trailing arm and a new worm and sector steering arrangement which then allowed 180 degree steering lock (instead of 90 degrees). Suspension at the rear was by ‘six-hole’ Flexitor bonded rubber units and the brakes operated on all three wheels.
Electrics were still 6 volts for the horn, wiper motor and lights. The front head and side lamps were 12-watt / 3-watt capacity whilst the single rear tail lamp now incorporated a brake light and used an 18-watt / 3-watt bulb. Starting was by a floor-mounted handle via a cable to a modified kickstart lever for the Standard or by an electric starter mounted on top of the cylinder head for the Deluxe versions.
Villiers 8E 197cc engines and a chain adjuster were introduced.
Features to be introduced for the 1954 season were: New shape Triplex windscreen and frame, rectangular section front trailing arm with revised front brake back plate and new chain adjusting method, steering shaft and gearchange lever U/J's eliminated, cubby hole in dash deleted, dash mounted grab handle introduced for all vehicles, battery moved from the bulkhead to the left hand front wing on non-electric start vehicles, introduction of a mounting bracket for the spare wheel, sidescreen stowage clips added and a "two roll" seat squab with a straight top edge replacing the earlier rounded type. Steel was also used for the rear wings when supplies of aluminium became difficult to obtain.
October also saw the production of the only known Mark C Minivan. It was shown at the November 1953 Motorcycle show and appears to have entered service at Sharp's Commercials as their daily delivery van. When it was featured in the Spring 1963 Bond Magazine, it had just completed 100,000 miles of stop/start motoring.
The Family Safety model introduced. A restyled rear body with two inward-facing hammock seats allowed two small children to be carried behind the front seat. It had new rear sidescreens, reshaped front sidescreens and the hood had a roll-up flap at the rear. A rear bumper was fitted to all Family Safety models regardless of them being a Standard or a Deluxe version.
The start of the 1955 model. The major new feature was a redesign of the braking system with the aluminium, pendant pedal being replaced by steel type attached to a cross-shaft and operating a revised linkage. To supplement the use of aluminium, some bonnets and rear wings were now being made from glass fibre. Red Vynide had already been introduced for hoods and interiors also became Red only. The 2/3-seater Tourer models now had rear bumpers. All Deluxe versions also had front bumpers fitted and a leathercloth covered dash. An improved design of silencer was introduced.
The start of the 1956 model. All vehicles had a new type II front grille and bonnet and the windscreen rubber was fitted with a new cream filler strip on the outside. Family Safety models had new shape glass fibre rear wings and new style rear lamps. A rear apron between the body and the bumper was fitted to all Family Safety's and all Deluxe Tourers. Chrome headlamp hoods and front wing side strips were also fitted on all Deluxe models.
Chassis Number Range: D/10/3392 to H/5/11796
Total Mark C Production = 6,399