Minicar (Mark A) - January 1949 to April 1951
The 2/3-seater Tourer Minicar was introduced. It had an aluminium, stressed skin body fitted with a Perspex® windscreen. The single front wheel was driven by a Villiers 10D, 122 c.c. air-cooled engine and a 3-speed direct change gearbox (no reverse). Steering was by a cable and bobbin arrangement whilst starting was achieved by means of a handle mounted under the dash panel and connected by cable to a modified kick-starter on the engine.
There were trailing link front forks, rigid mounted rear wheels and a cable and rod system that operated the rear brakes only. A 2½ gallon petrol tank was fitted, along with 6-volt rectified lighting, a manually operated windscreen wiper and the tyres were ‘Goodyear’ low pressure 16" x 4" [4.00 x 8 in modern terminology] interchangeable all round. Front lighting was by two external head and side lamps of 12-watt / 3-watt capacity mounted on either side of the body. Rear lighting was by a centrally mounted tail lamp having a 3-watt / 3-watt double filament bulb.
The Deluxe Tourer was introduced. Identical to the Villiers 10D, 122 c.c. model but with the Villiers 6E, 197 c.c. engine, a new dash-mounted aluminium steering boss incorporating a marked gear quadrant, a floor - mounted starting handle, an engine mixture control integral with the Villiers 4/5 carburettor, a right-hand exterior mounted driving mirror and a spare wheel. A Lucas electric windscreen wiper was fitted, which could also be specified at extra cost for the non-Deluxe Tourer.
An improved Deluxe Tourer was introduced. A rack and pinion steering box replaced the cable and bobbin system for all models. New colours of pearl grey polychromatic and ivory were offered and beige leathercloth was added to the colours used for the seats.
Chassis Number Range: A/1/1 to C/4/1973
Total Minicar (Mark A) Production = 1,973